Trunk opens on its own? - Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Trunk opens on its own?

Twice now, The Agent (aka wife) has claimed she has come out of a store, or the mall, or whatever, and found her trunk was open.

She says she isnt putting the remote in her pocket and bumping it.

She says the remote is loose in her purse - a very large bag that I sure wouldnt want to carry anything that heavy around.

Anyone else have this happen?

Or should I chaulk it up to being blonde?

James -
2012 Chevy Express Cargo
2013 Chevy Volt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:34 PM

The key fob is way more sensitive to bumps than my G8 GTs ever was. Something in her purse is pressing into it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 04:01 PM

On the plus side the range of this FOB is very good compared the G8 GTs. You can start it from over 200 ft with the FOB consistently.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 AM

Key fob opening trunk

I have this problem constantly. I keep my key in my front pants pocket, and if I squat down for any reason, the trunk pops open. I have done it 3 times now in public places. It has caused me to be obsessive / compulsive over the key fob, which certainly doesn't make for a satisfied customer. I went so far as to try and disable the button in the fob, but couldn't get it apart for fear of breaking it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 12:36 PM

Hey guys - I posted a bulletin that deals with both unwanted trunk/hatch openings and inoperative trunk/hatch touchpads. The bulletin deals with both issues. Here's a link to my thread:
bulletin re: inoperative trunk touchpads
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 AM

I have had this problem for over 2 years on my 2011 and 2013 Buick Regal Turbo sedans. The trunk IS NOT opening due to accidental pushing of the trunk release button on the remote. GM installed first a 2 second hold on my trunk release button and then a double push on it. Both times the trunk continues to open intermittently on its own. GM engineering seems incapable of resolving this other than to install a work around switch that disables the solenoid. When the switch is flipped, the trunk is unable to be opened at all. This is still just a workaround and obviously not the way the trunk opening was intended to be controlled
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:49 PM

I have a 2012 Buick Regal GS & just started having this same problem with my car/trunk. And NO I am not accidentally pushing the button & I have witnesses

SO FAR, if I lock my car from the outside by pushing the lock button on my remote twice, it stays closed. However, I never lock my car at work or at home so it's hard for me to remember to do this now and am afraid I will end up with rain or snow in my trunk one of these days. Not to mention, I shouldn't have to remember to lock it, the trunk should not open unless I open it.

I made an appointment with the local GM dealer for next week. Hopefully they'll have experience with this now that its 2015.

I have a feeling a lot of these people assuming they're accidentally pushing the trunk release on the remote are mistaken.

I have loved everything about this car until now. Hopefully it is not a sign of electrical failures to come.

Last edited by BrandyG; 03-13-2015 at 04:57 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:55 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestepchild View Post
Twice now, The Agent (aka wife) has claimed she has come out of a store, or the mall, or whatever, and found her trunk was open.

Anyone else have this happen?

Or should I chaulk it up to being blonde?
Tip: When questioning someone else's intelligence, be sure you have your i's dotted and t's crossed. Or in this case, your chalk spelled correctly.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 05:33 AM

if I squat down for any reason, the trunk pops open. I have done it 3 times now in public places.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 05:03 PM

Mine recently started this too. Mine for the last two days when i leave for work in the morning (Doors Locked) as soon as I pull the door handle and the lock releases, the trunk pops. Which to me, sounds like whatever triggers the trunk to open is waiting/holding in that position until the car is unlocked. My touch pad on the trunk has not worked in a few months now and may be part of the problem. I've also noticed that my trunk was open all night long and my car was not locked that night. Just my input, I plan on taking it to the dealer and hopefully they can straighten it out, but i'm not getting my hopes up on this one!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb12gs View Post
Mine recently started this too. Mine for the last two days when i leave for work in the morning (Doors Locked) as soon as I pull the door handle and the lock releases, the trunk pops. Which to me, sounds like whatever triggers the trunk to open is waiting/holding in that position until the car is unlocked. My touch pad on the trunk has not worked in a few months now and may be part of the problem. I've also noticed that my trunk was open all night long and my car was not locked that night. Just my input, I plan on taking it to the dealer and hopefully they can straighten it out, but i'm not getting my hopes up on this one!
Hi bb12gs,

Iím sorry to hear that you are experiencing your trunk opening up by itself as soon as you pull the door handle on your Regal. I can certainly imagine how this would be frustrating! I see that you mention taking your vehicle in to your dealer to have them look into this situation. I would be more than happy to facilitate communication with your dealership and make them aware of your concerns. If interested, please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, full contact info and the name of your preferred dealership. Also, please let me now if you have any questions.

All the best,

Shane M.
Buick Customer Care
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:41 PM

2013 self opening trunk

I also have had a self-opening trunk problem with my 2013 Buick Regal GS. Like many on this forum, I thought I must be inadvertently hitting the trunk release though I keep my key fob detached from any keys whatsoever for just this reason. In addition, I make it a point to carry it in my pocket apart from anything else that might depress the button including change. After a third incident in two years, I decided to see if I was crazy or if there was a defect. I am now convinced that the problem is not mine. I am also not optimistic that this will be fixed given the many reports I have read here and elsewhere. One of the reasons I drive a sedan is to be able secure items in the trunk, unseen by thieves. My business partner had his briefcase and computer stolen from an SUV with the security shade in place. Since I often carry my briefcase and computer in the trunk, this issue has me seeking treatment for OCD. Just kidding, but only about the treatment. Unless I can get this problem fixed, I will be getting rid of the car. My appointment at my Buick dealership is tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page