Engine Failure - Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Engine Failure

I have a 2011 Regal CXL that I bought used last August 2013. It was certified, thankfully. It had 41000 miles when I bought it, now it has 57,000. Ever since I got the car occasionally it would squeal on startup, like the belt was slipping. I took it to the dealer a couple times, and it would never squeal for them. Also on a couple occasions over the last year it would suddenly kill at idle, usually would start back up again. Took it in for that, they said they cleaned the throttle body and advised me not to use cheap gas. Lately it has been squealing more often, and also string making a grinding noise on startup. I called them again, it was due for an oil change and asked them to check it again. Last week I was driving at low speed and the grinding didn't stop. I coasted to a stop light and the car died. Threw it into park and tried to start it again, I could hear the starter motor but it wasn't cranking the engine. A friendly police officer helped me push it out of traffic and the dealer towed it out there. Apparently the timing chain broke and bent up all the valves. They have pulled the head and had it sent to repair. I am very leary of the car now and not sure I will keep it. Will definitely take a bath on a trade I am sure. Dealer says it should be 'better than new' when it is done, but I am doubtful. A shame too, as I really liked the car as was planning on keeping it for some years, after sticking $2,000 into window tint, tires, Weather Tech mats, etc. The warranty will only extend another 15,000 miles, they won't extend it. Anyone else had this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Got some news today. First off the experience with the warranty and the dealer, Richardson Motors of Dubuque, Iowa has been very good so far. The service rep Jason called today and gave me a very thorough update and suspected cause.

Apparently there is a bolt that attaches the belt tensioner to the motor. It had sheared off, causing the timing chain to let loose and damage the valves, pistons, etc. The mechanics replaced all the parts and were ready to assemble when they took a closer look at the sheared bolt and hole. Apparently the hole was slightly out of round, which caused the bolt over the last few years to move, wear out, cause the occasional squealing of the serpentine belt, stretch the timing chain, until finally the bolt sheared off completely. Since the hole was like that probably due to the initial casting of the head, they have ordered a whole new head for the engine. I am glad they noticed that before reassembling, as if they didn't the same problem may have developed again in another 40,000 miles. So looks like much of the engine will be brand new when it gets done in the next week. Amazing how one out of round bolt hole can cause that much damage.

So, in the end, hopefully it will perform better than it ever did. I will drive the car for awhile to see, but still may look at replacing it prior to the warranty running out, unless I am totally comfortable with keeping it.

Anyway, nothing but good things to say so far about GM and the dealership's response.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 PM

For 2011 non turbo regal owners. GM sent out a notice of possible 2.4 engine issues "chrome layer on the balance chains" ETC and extended the warranty.......Mike

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Well I got the car back today. No more grinding or squealing so far. Car seems to run fine. I do have to say the dealer and Buick have been great. My only issue is that I am hyper sensitive to listening to the motor for any noises. Hopefully in time I will feel comfortable enough to enjoy the entertainment options again. Does anyone know how this will be marked on the Carfax and other services? Any clue on how it would affect the trade or book value?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 PM

Surprised and glad for you that they were able to locate your problem.

It wouldn't surprise me though if it ever came down to it that Buick themselves wouldn't stand behind your vehicle. Its already proven the GM to include Buick will place cost above safety. Look no further than the number of recalls they have going on.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Well, its been a few weeks, car starting squealing again on warm start when air compressor is on. Naturally dealer didn't hear it, but did agree to replace the tensioner and belt in a week or so. Funny how a new tensioner was listed on the detailed receipt they gave me, but the service person is insisting that it wasn't replaced with the large amount of engine work last month. Also, took it in yesterday in response to a recall concerning the turn signal outage warning system. That took an hour. Then later in the day apparently a TPMS sensor went bad. So it will be another hour today to get that fixed. This car really likes being in the shop. May trade it for a VW CC, but worried about getting new problems with that. Wish they could combine Japanese quality with the good looks and performance of the German cars and Buick's attempt at styling and performance.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 06:34 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudo769 View Post
Well, its been a few weeks, car starting squealing again on warm start when air compressor is on. Naturally dealer didn't hear it, but did agree to replace the tensioner and belt in a week or so. Funny how a new tensioner was listed on the detailed receipt they gave me, but the service person is insisting that it wasn't replaced with the large amount of engine work last month. Also, took it in yesterday in response to a recall concerning the turn signal outage warning system. That took an hour. Then later in the day apparently a TPMS sensor went bad. So it will be another hour today to get that fixed. This car really likes being in the shop. May trade it for a VW CC, but worried about getting new problems with that. Wish they could combine Japanese quality with the good looks and performance of the German cars and Buick's attempt at styling and performance.
Just a suggestion for future car purchases...NEVER buy a model the first year it comes out! No matter what the make/model!

The 2012's+ with the 2.4 engine have been flawless...if only you would have waited or purchased a year newer...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Regal Eagel, but looking at this link the quality of the 2012 is not reporting any better.

2012 Buick Regal Reliability Ratings
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudo769 View Post
Thanks for the advice Regal Eagel, but looking at this link the quality of the 2012 is not reporting any better.

2012 Buick Regal Reliability Ratings
I'm just saying, if you did your homework, you would have discovered that the 2011 Regals got the "LAF" 2.4, which had a ton of problems in other vehicles (see Equinox, etc) and then in 2012, GM updated the 2.4 with the "LEA" version, which is now pretty much bulletproof.

Last edited by RegalEagle2012; 08-16-2014 at 10:43 AM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Might reconsider keeping this car after looking at the differences between the LAF motor and the LEA they began using in 2012. I found this:

"You will need the following parts to “retrofit” any ‘11-‘13 ecotec 2.4 engine to the ‘10 model year trucks. In addition, you will need to swap the old intake camshaft and actuator to the new engine as well. An engine from an Equinox or Terrain would be preferred, but also Regal and Verano is applicable. I have honestly never seen a problem with ‘11 or newer engines, just the ‘10. Your engine can be repaired though if you do not replace it, as GM has released updated pistons and rings for the engine. I’ve repaired over a dozen myself in that manner."

12631646 – fuel injector rebuild/conversion kit
12641847 – high pressure fuel pump
12645237 – balance shaft chain
12649233 – balance shaft chain tensioner
12635447 – timing chain kit
(as it applies to your VIN, they are all the same ‘10-‘13)
front timing cover gasket
camshaft cover gasket
exhaust manifold to cylinder head gasket
exhaust manifold to catalytic converter seal
intake manifold gaskets
fresh spark plugs
obviously oil, filter, dexcool.

After going through my copy of all the recent work, searching all the part numbers, it looks like almost all of this was done. I don't see that the fuel injectors were rebuilt, but I did get a fresh cylinder head, so perhaps that took care of it. And the tensioner that was listed on the receipt was the chain tensioner, not the belt tensioner that is sqeaking occasionally. Hopefully tomorrow they will replace the belt and belt tensioner under warranty, and I will then have pretty much a retrofit LEA engine. There is so much to like about this car, hopefully it will provide many miles of use and I might just keep it.

Thanks to RegalEagle2012 for the input, it prompted me to really study the differences in the engines and know exactly what I have now. And still have powertrain warranty for another 40k miles/or another year at least.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 03:04 PM

Red face

No problem. I hope it didn't come off as snarky! Just trying to help!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:50 AM

Similiar problem on 2012 Regal Turbo

2012 Regal Turbo 2.0 recently had timing chain, water pump chain, both tensioners, and bolt replaced due to noise when accelerating from standing stop.
Timing chain was loose, rattling against cover. 14k miles on engine. 4th service call in 2 yrs.

** Head liner roof magnets replaced
** Engine hood liner replaced (warped)
** Rear Tail light assembly replaced (leaked)
** Climate Control intermittently stops working (2 occurances), can't find the problem. If air cond on, no cold, If heater on, no heat. Have to stop engine and restart.

I absolutlely love the way this car drives, handles exceptionly. Excellent highway milage (30 mpg @ 70 mph)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzyp View Post
2012 Regal Turbo 2.0 recently had timing chain, water pump chain, both tensioners, and bolt replaced due to noise when accelerating from standing stop.
Timing chain was loose, rattling against cover. 14k miles on engine. 4th service call in 2 yrs.

** Head liner roof magnets replaced
** Engine hood liner replaced (warped)
** Rear Tail light assembly replaced (leaked)
** Climate Control intermittently stops working (2 occurances), can't find the problem. If air cond on, no cold, If heater on, no heat. Have to stop engine and restart.

I absolutlely love the way this car drives, handles exceptionly. Excellent highway milage (30 mpg @ 70 mph)
Hi pizzyp! We're glad to hear you were able to get these issues addressed on your vehicle. Please keep us posted on your progress with your HVAC. If there's anything we can do to help, we're available via private message.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page