first oil change 3m|3k? - Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9
first oil change 3m|3k?

My regal 4 months old with 301x miles on it, according to the dash computer, i still haven 45% oil life remained ...

So should i stick to the 3m|3k or wait until the dash computer tell me to change oil now?

btw, anyone knows regal uses regular or synthetic?
fedora is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Buick Customer Service's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 157
fedora,

This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed. When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on.

Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 miles). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your dealer has trained service people who will perform this work using genuine parts and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly and keep it at the proper level. If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

Thank you,
Caron, Buick Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedora View Post
My regal 4 months old with 301x miles on it, according to the dash computer, i still haven 45% oil life remained ...

So should i stick to the 3m|3k or wait until the dash computer tell me to change oil now?

btw, anyone knows regal uses regular or synthetic?
Buick Customer Service is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9
thanks for you reply, so basically i should wait until the computer tells me to change it?

does regal use regular or synthetic oil? thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick Customer Service View Post
fedora,

This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed. When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on.

Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 miles). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your dealer has trained service people who will perform this work using genuine parts and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly and keep it at the proper level. If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 miles) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

Thank you,
Caron, Buick Customer Service
fedora is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Visalia. Ca
Posts: 29
Send a message via AIM to Letsrun97z
My dealer said full synthetic.
I am doing my own oil changes using mobil1 5w30 with mobil media filter. I changed oil at 2000mi then again at 6k and now 12k. They say you can run 10k miles per oil&filter change but I am not going to take that chance in the long run. I'll stick to changing every 5000 miles just for the piece of mind. Yeah I know I am wasting money but ohwell. I do keep all of my recepts just incase

2011 Regal Rl 3
1997 Camaro z28 m6
Letsrun97z is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Oil

The 2011 Regal requires a very specific kind of Synthetic Oil. It is 5W-30 in viscosity but it HAS to carry the 'dexos 1' designation on the bottle. This is a new formulation of oil, and has to be licensed by GM, so many oil companies do not have it yet or do not label their bottles with it yet. You can look for the API Service badge for an idea that the oil may be 'dexos 1' compatible. Look for an API standard of SN. This is the most current API level.

I operate an auto parts store and have dozens of different kinds of synthetic oil and can order some fantastically priced Royal Purple, which I run in my other cars. However, the only oils I have that are LABELED 'dexos 1' are Castrol Syntec (black bottle) and Syntec Edge (gold bottle). Mobil is on the official list, but their bottles do not note the change and, my stock anyways, are API SM (an earlier formula).

The 'dexos' link is here: GM dexos Licensed Products

Hope this helps!!!

Bill

2011 Regal
2005 Mini Cooper S
1991 Pontiac Bonneville (Resto-mod in progress)
wjsrooney is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16
Yeah, I just made an apt for my 1st oil change...purchased the Regal 12/29/2010 and I'll be getting my 1st oil change tomorrow (7/21/2011) @ 11k miles! I was highly impressed with how long/many miles I was able to go since purchasing the car before I needed an oil change. Also, the owner's manual states that you should use dexos 1 rated oil as noted above.
RegalRaj is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
first oil change at 15000, 6 months after purchase. Almost all highway miles. Mobile 1 now sports the dexos 1 certification. changed the oil myself. piece of cake once you figure out where they hid the filter. do yourself a favor and pick up the special filter wrench at your local autozone or amazon.com




"You bought a Buick?"
bgadds is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 115
That very interesting what is Dexos1 that is something i have never herd of GM making your run their oil because of some extra additives... so their motors are required to run the Dexos1 oil?

I run Motul is most of my cars anyways...
royal_regal is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadds View Post
first oil change at 15000, 6 months after purchase. Almost all highway miles. Mobile 1 now sports the dexos 1 certification. changed the oil myself. piece of cake once you figure out where they hid the filter. do yourself a favor and pick up the special filter wrench at your local autozone or amazon.com

Amazon.com: Lisle 14500 Oil Filter Socket: Automotive
havent looked yet, but where is the filter hidden

James -
2012 Chevy Express Cargo
2013 Chevy Volt
thestepchild is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Junior Member
 
TKR7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ashland, Oh
Posts: 25
What type of Oil?

Still trying to figure out if the Regal came from the factory with Synthetic or not. Contacted the dealership where purchased and they could not confirm. Sent an e-mail to Buick to find out for sure. If anyone knows for certain, please share. If it came with synthetic, definitely want to stay with it.
Thanks

2011 T06 (Rüsselsheim)
TKR7 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKR7 View Post
Still trying to figure out if the Regal came from the factory with Synthetic or not. Contacted the dealership where purchased and they could not confirm. Sent an e-mail to Buick to find out for sure. If anyone knows for certain, please share. If it came with synthetic, definitely want to stay with it.
Thanks
Is there a non synthetic with the dexos approval? I haven't seen any yet, doesn't mean there isn't. Just saying I haven't seen it.

James -
2012 Chevy Express Cargo
2013 Chevy Volt
thestepchild is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 AM
Junior Member
 
TKR7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ashland, Oh
Posts: 25
Synthetic or not?

My dealership quoted $44 for a "regular" dexos1 oil change, $63 for a Pennzoil synthetic change.

2011 T06 (Rüsselsheim)
TKR7 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Junior Member
 
TKR7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ashland, Oh
Posts: 25
Reply from Buick on oil

"Your vehicle was filled at the factory with dexos-approved engine oil." Going to call the reponder to my inquiry Monday.....

2011 T06 (Rüsselsheim)
TKR7 is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Junior Member
 
TKR7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ashland, Oh
Posts: 25
The official word from Buick is that the Regals were filled at the factory with "Synthetic Blend".

2011 T06 (Rüsselsheim)
TKR7 is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Member
 
cozbyrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Van,TX
Posts: 97
I have my oil changed every 7500 miles and my tires rotated at the same time. Easier for me to remember.
cozbyrt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome