What brand of oil would you use for your Regal? - Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

What brand of oil would you use for your Regal?

Everyone has their preferred brand of oil. So I wanted to find out what is your favorite brand or what brand would you use and possibly why you chose that brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 PM

ive always used mobil 1. whether its conventional or synthetic. i always stick to mobil 1. never had a problem with before so no reason why i should change.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 PM

Mobile One is suppossed to be fill for the Insignia. Been considering Pennzoil Platinum.

2011 T06 (Rüsselsheim)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM

Not sure about the turbo, but GS requires DEXOS-approved oil. New Mobil 1 has the logo right on the bottle.

Rob
2012 Regal GS | carbon black metallic | six-speed | nav, sunroof, 20s
trifecta | k&n | hud | rear fog lamp | GM acc lighting | debadged
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 07:45 PM

The turbo requires Dexos as well.

2011 Buick Regal T-05
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Id like to know where the oil filter housing is ? Pretty sad when the owners manual does not tell you.
Also does not say anywhere what kind of oil to use, just 5W30. Most european cars, BMW ect, Have it right on the oil filler cap Mobil1, Castrol ect.. I guess they are delivered with Dino oil...
Thanks,
DL
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Advance Auto parts currently has Quaker State "Ultimate Durabilty" (Dexos Licensed) on sale now for $3.99/qt. Quaker State is offering $20 rebate if you purchase 5 quarts. Takes 6 quarts for an oil change. I got in on the deal. 6 quarts for $4.00.
Quaker State Warranty Support Site - Quaker State® Ultimate Durability? Mail In Rebate

2011 T06 (Rüsselsheim)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM

I have been using Castrol ever since I started doing my own oil changes. Never read a bad review about them and its worked really well for me so far. I try and get the German made Castrol as its a much better grade than the North American made Castrol.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Oil filter is under the black cap right behind the dip stick

First oil change for ours @ 6330 miles. 37% remaining, just wanted to do the first one or two a little early.

James -
2012 Chevy Express Cargo
2013 Chevy Volt
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 03:00 PM

If I run Mobile 1 Full Synthetic in my Regal (haven't even had my first oil change yet) how many miles should I be getting between changes?

Should I be changing my filter more often (lets say every 5k miles) since I will be able to go 8-10k+ miles?
Or do I not have to worry about it on a modern car like the Regal?

Mobile 1 FAQ says NO on extra filter changes
Quote:
If I go longer between oil change intervals, do I need to change my oil filter more frequently? Or do I need a special filter?

Continue to change your oil filter when you change your engine oil. Special filters or more frequent oil filter changes are not required;, however, some low quality filters may not be capable of protecting your engine throughout an extended oil change interval.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters provide outstanding protection during longer oil change intervals - up to 15,000 miles of Guaranteed Protection when combined with fully synthetic motor oils. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters are designed to remove more impurities (99.9 percent Multi-Pass Efficiency Test rating) and hold more contaminants (22.5 grams capacity) than conventional oil filters, which make them ideal candidates when oil drain intervals are extended. All new car warranties remain in effect when Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters are used. Follow your vehicle manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals.

Last edited by claimed4all; 03-13-2012 at 03:05 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

I personally, pick the oil and filter and change interval. Go with it. Then pull a sample and send in for analysis, adjust per results of analysis.

Don't know about the regal yet, but in my truck I've been running 10,000 miles with synthetic oil.

James -
2012 Chevy Express Cargo
2013 Chevy Volt
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I used to use Royal Purple but I heard bad things about them plus it caused a knock in my engine. Now I use Castrol too.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 AM

What engine oil was put in from the factory, conventional/synthetic ?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 03:18 PM

Run ONLY Dexos spec approved oils or you could be left holding the bill if there is ever an issue! Even if your're under warranty. jus sayin-
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Redline. Best oil because of all 3 micro lubricants, zinc, phosphorus and the best molybdenum. It's 5w30 is crazy high in it and will protect extremely well. $10 a qt though so you'll have to ponie up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page