Regal CXL 2.0 Turbo engine growling / droning noise - Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Regal CXL 2.0 Turbo engine growling / droning noise

I have a 2011 Regal Turbo T07 Russelsheim version that I love, except for one problem. The car makes a growling / droning noise that comes from the engine compartment, on the passenger side, mainly on moderate acceleration and while cruising at 40 MPH after reaching top gear. At first I thought it was the sound of the engine lugging because it sounds a lot like that. But after paying more attention, I realized that the noise was happening at other times. For instance, when driving slowly around a parking lot with light throttle. It's a very annoying sound that’s embarrassing if other people are around and hear it.
My dealer has attempted to fix it several times but no luck so far. This is what they’ve done to try to fix this:
1. Isolated and insulated the AC lines to keep them from vibrating against the body.
2. Replaced the serpentine belt and belt tensioner
3. Replaced balance shaft chains and worn shoes

Does anyone else have any experience with this noise coming from their car? Has anyone had any luck at fixing it? Does anyone know the cause of the noise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 AM

Turbo noise with mine too

Sounds like same thing with my 2012 Regal turbo. I have had it back twice to the dealer, but they tell me they can't hear the noise. I've about had it with them and will next go up the service chain until I get somebody to look into this. Their response to my claim that the noise is persistent yet intermittent (highest gear) is "they can't evaluate it unless the noise is continuous.....bring it back then".

Sorry I cant offer you a potential fix, only another affirmation that this condition exists in other regal turbos too. You are not alone!

Surely others must have had this problem too. And Buick must be aware of it too. Maybe its one of those factory defects that won't surface until enough complaints have been received.

Have you contacted Buick directly yet?

Regards,

John G in Butler CO. PA
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 02:57 PM

Exhaust and transmission. I get the same noise as well. I think its due to the fact the car is always in a higher gear that it really should be in so it saves fuel. Try driving the car in manual mode and you shift the gears. For me when the car is in 6th gear and the car feels sluggish I will put it in manual mode and drop it down the 4th gear and it make a world of difference and then keep going up till I get where I need to be. I had the dealer tell me the reason they have the transmission programmed so conservatively is they are trying to hit certain mpg's. I think the shift points are crap and they need to adjust them cause the car can be a turtle.

Steve

2011 Buick Regal 2.0T T06 Black on black

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Guys,
Thanks for your replies and the confirmation that I am not alone. I tried driving in manual mode today on my way home from work and you're right, the noise vanished, at least as long as I stayed in manual mode. Good to know for when I just want to get a break from this annoying noise. I just don't understand how GM can build such a cool car and get it 99% right and not be able to "kill this gremlin". I'm due for an oil change soon so I'll have to escalate this up the ladder, starting with the service manager. I'll keep you posted.

Glenn in Mt Olive, NJ
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:47 PM

What mileage are your vehicles? My 2012 Turbo Premium 1 only has about 22,500 right now. I have gone though the pulley/belt tensioner replacement at 13,000 for the squealing during acceleration problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 03:18 PM

I have 64k on mine. Its been doing it every since I purchased it with only 3400 miles on it. I happen to notice it because the tranny can be SO slow to shift and the turbo to kick in. When I manually do it the sound goes away. For some reason it is just at that right frequency when the car is in 6th gear which to me is way to high. I don't know if there is a program out there where I can flash the computer and have the shift points optimized. I had done this to a VW Passat that I used to own before this car and it made a world of difference with HP and torque (APR Tuning).

Hitman - I had mine replaced as well at 17,500 miles. Seems to be a common issue. Also I had to replace a battery at 54k miles. Warranty items so I didn't care because not cost to me

So far I'm pleased with the car. I have spent $1800 in service and of that total $1300 has been for tires and a battery.

I am using an app called gascubby and log all my gas and expenses. Been using it since I bought the car.

2011 Buick Regal 2.0T T06 Black on black

Last edited by audiophile1970; 11-16-2015 at 03:42 PM. Reason: updated info
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Since my last post, I escalated this issue to GM and I had a meeting with the regional technical service rep. Apparently the growling noise is the GDI (Gas Direct Inject) pump hoses. They're pressurized up to 2000 lbs and when the engine is under load at low RPM's it sets up a vibration that causes the noise. Well great, at least now I know what's causing the noise. Unfortunately, he told me that this is normal for the car and that unfortunately, GM is not working on a fix and probably never will. I'm going to look on the internet to see if anyone has concocted a retrofit solution. If anyone has had any luck at correcting this issue, please reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page