What's with the hype of putting in nitrogen in your tires? - Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

What's with the hype of putting in nitrogen in your tires?

So I was talking with my friend about his Regal and he tells me how everytime he goes for a check up for his Regal (not at BUICK), he asks them to fill his tires with nitrogen. Um..isn't nitrogen explosive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 PM
syd

Ehhhh... no, nitrogen is not explosive. You might be thinking of hydrogen or helium.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Hydrogen seems to be...

What's this signature thing?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 PM

I think its all just snake oil. I had a hard enough time finding deisel when I had my VW golf. Imagine having to find nitrogen at a gas station?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:00 PM

You don't HAVE to use nitrogen once you started with it and there are many benefits to using nitrogen in your tires. I use it in all my cars. It doesn't become volatile at high or low temps so tire pressures stay consistent, it doesn't leak out as easily as regular air (nitrogen has bigger molecules), and besides, you get cool green valve caps!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr81 View Post
So I was talking with my friend about his Regal and he tells me how everytime he goes for a check up for his Regal (not at BUICK), he asks them to fill his tires with nitrogen. Um..isn't nitrogen explosive?
you're probably thinking of nitroglycerin. now that one is very explosive. definitely dont put that in your tires. hahaha.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:04 PM

Heres a pretty handy article regarding the truth and myths about filling your tires with nitrogen. Before you think about putting them on definitely read through this.

The Truth About Filling Your Tires with Nitrogen | The Truth About Cars
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the article. I was really debating doing this to my car but you just help me save $20. Its not a lot but still thats $20 I can put towards something else. I'd just rather regularly check my tires pressure and refill it for free.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 09:42 AM

Nitrogen is not worth putting in your tires. Just another gimmick cooked up by the car guys.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalman View Post
Nitrogen is not worth putting in your tires. Just another gimmick cooked up by the car guys.
I recently purchased a 2011 Regal and opted to have nitrogen installed in the tires. It seem to me the car rides harder now and there is more road noise tranmitted to the cabin than when I test drove the car with normal air in the tires. Does anyone know if nitrogen has this effect or is it just my imagination.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorphil View Post
I recently purchased a 2011 Regal and opted to have nitrogen installed in the tires. It seem to me the car rides harder now and there is more road noise tranmitted to the cabin than when I test drove the car with normal air in the tires. Does anyone know if nitrogen has this effect or is it just my imagination.
In terms of ride quality there is no difference. They probably over inflated it compared to the tires you had when you test drove the car. Check the tire pressure. Should be somewhere between 34-38 on all four tires. If the pressure is too high try lowering it a bit and see if it improves.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:28 PM

The real issue that brought all this to the surface in the first place is... moisture. Race teams would buy tanks of "dry nitrogen" to inflate tires because it was cheap and portable. The tanks were easier to move around, load and unload from a transport than an air compressor.

Before this, there were many scientific uses for nitrogen that required it be dry. So, production volumes were high and the cost of nitrogen was cheap.

In a race car, the tires can easily exceed 212*F, so any moisture or water that is inside is going to boil which affects the tire pressure. Moisture in compressed air comes from the atmosphere, as well as from improperly maintained equipment (there are water traps and filters that need to be changed once in a while).

If you used properly dried compressed air, most of the benefits of dry nitrogen would be just as evident. Face it, compressed air is already 78% nitrogen. Any internal degradation from the 20% oxygen would be minimal in the life of the tire.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info. My 2011 Regal is my 26th new car and I have never had a problem with tire degradation in the past. When the matter concerning replacing the air in the tires with nitrogen, my intitial reaction was that it was a pile of bunk. However, I agreed to the procedure at a cost of $259.00 Canadian plus tax. It appears my initial assessment was correct.

With regards to the harder ride and excesssive road noise, I think one has to admit the Opel Insignia is no Buick, even with the modifications GM made for the North American market. The Regal is not as quiet as my 2008 Allure/LaCrosse was and this purchase is definitely a downgrade.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 PM

I forgot to mention that the hands free calling feature (satellite phone) does not work when driving due to the excessive road noise. The automated service cannot decipher basic instructions. I find it hard to believe that GM engineers did not determine this problem during testing procedures. It is obvious, the microphone for this service, mounted on the windshield, leaves a lot to be desired.

There are a lot of issues to be addressed when this vehicle is manufactured in Oshawa and I hope GM is paying attention. Otherwise this venture will be a failure. These comments are coming from a GM supporter for over 50 years.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Is the calling feature a part of the Onstar package or is it a separate feature unique to the Regal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page