Back Dash Rattle - TSB - Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Back Dash Rattle - TSB

We have a back dash rattle on our Regal.

Our local dealer said they fixed it but didnt

Called a guy I know at another dealer and here is what he found (not our issue, ours is the back dash rattling, just thought others might find it helpful)

Subject: Locating/Repairing Noise or Rattle from Rear of Vehicle When Driving Over Rough Surfaces

Models: 2011 Buick Regal

Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint B1013646

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on hearing a noise/rattle from the rear of the vehicle when driving over rough surfaces. The noise may sometimes be reported to be coming from the rear package shelf.

The cause of this condition may be that the upper corner (1) of the left or right tail lamp is contacting the body sheet metal when the vehicle is driven on rough roads. Lightly pressing on this area of the lamp will often verify the condition.
Earlier builds may have no bumper/ insulator in this area and later builds may have a hard rubber bumper on the underside of the lamp housing, which may have shifted or come loose.

If so, farther along they list a "special" piece of foam to order from the warranty parts center. PM me your VIN so I can order them for you if you think this is your problem, otherwise we can look at it here to find the cause.

James -
2012 Chevy Express Cargo
2013 Chevy Volt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bpwilmoth
I hear a rattle coming from the rear during some high output bass. Mine sounds like something around the rear deck, but I hae not looked for the source yet. Seems to be in certain frequency range that sets it off. I'll check the rear lights for sure...

Bryan Wilmoth
2011 Regal CXL Turbo
Trifecta Tune
T05, 20% Rear 30% Front Tint
MTX Re-Q Processor with Kenwood KAC 7204 Amp powering a Sundown Audio E-10 Subwoofer in a 1.1 cu/ft vented enclosure
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Check your vin/build date ours was built after the cutoff for the taillight issue

James -
2012 Chevy Express Cargo
2013 Chevy Volt

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 PM

i'm quite confused. is this the latest car tsb on back dash rattle? i have seen another one on the internet that states different issues about this. i just hope to see the latest one just to be updated

cheers

Tomy
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone

Last edited by tomysmith97; 07-20-2012 at 04:22 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:13 AM

I have taken note and certainly understand your concerns with your Buicks. I would be happy to look into this issue more if you're not able to reach a satisfactory conclusion with your dealer. Please provide your VIN#, name, concerns, and dealer you're working with in a private message. I hope this is resolved quickly for everyone.

Matt

Buick Customer Service

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hi all:
With it being a holiday, and the Agent (wife) not working today, I snagged the regal to do an oil change and look at the back dash rattle. She keeps reminding me it hasn't been fixed yet. .

So here is what I did and found:

(With any DIY, it's a Do It Yourself, you are responsible for proper removal, replacement and completion of this project)

Lay down the back seats.
Then pull off the side trim pieces.

In this pic, the small rectangle piece slides straight out, remove it. It'll start with a small flat screwdriver

Now GENTLY, from the top, pull the top down and towards center of car, kinda like the bottom is the pivot point. There are 3 clips that will POP out as shown in this pic. BE CAREFUL with the part that goes around the seat belt. Remove the belt if you want to get this piece out of the way, or just set it aside still hooked with the seat belt.

Ok there's only 2, but the other stayed on the car, you get the point.

Now remove the 3 trim holders on the front of the back dash piece.
A small flat screwdriver gets it started, then pull it out by hand.
It's the small round circle in this pic:

Now the back dash will lift up and towards the front of the car, remove it.

Here is what you have now:

At the back, near the window, is a small black plastic stand. I believe this is the source of our rattle. It slides out towards the front of car.

Idk if this tape is from factory or what the dealer did in their attempt to fix the rattle:

But this piece was still loose, and as you can see in this pic, rubbing on the back dash. About 6 little marks in the pic were rubbed/worn, and the 2 bigger black marks looked rubbed too. IDK for sure, not having seen it new.

I added some thin 3M double sided tape everywhere there were rub marks and to the feet of the black plastic stand.

Reassembled everything. I used to be able to just press down on the back dash by hand and hear the rattle. Now when I press down, no rattle.

Hopefully this fixed it. I will update as I hear back on it, or feel free to bump the thread.

James -
2012 Chevy Express Cargo
2013 Chevy Volt

Last edited by thestepchild; 09-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bpwilmoth
Great write up!
Thanks!

Bryan Wilmoth
2011 Regal CXL Turbo
Trifecta Tune
T05, 20% Rear 30% Front Tint
MTX Re-Q Processor with Kenwood KAC 7204 Amp powering a Sundown Audio E-10 Subwoofer in a 1.1 cu/ft vented enclosure
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

She has driven 2 days back and forth to work and says no rattle. Pretty sure its that black plastic stand causing it.

James -
2012 Chevy Express Cargo
2013 Chevy Volt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page