Regal GS to Insignia OPC Conversion with Pics! - Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Regal GS to Insignia OPC Conversion with Pics!

Got my goodies from oeminsigniaparts.com this week, and couldn't wait to get started!

The instructions he has on the website do a pretty good job, but typical GM instructions do leave much to be desired. Here is a quick run-through of the swap:

Starting with the bumper, there are 6 bolts under the hood, all T20 Torx:

3 Bolts in the fender-well, T20 Torx:

4 Plastic retainer clips under the bumper:

Once that is all loose, you can just pull the bumper out from under the headlight:

There are two electrical connectors that you will need to undo before fully removing the bumper:

There was one HIDDEN bolt, not listed on GM's instructions on the driver's side. It is strange because there is not a matching bracket on the passenger side You will want to do this BEFORE the electrical connectors and attempted bumper removal, LOL... I didn't know it was there:

Remove the foam crash bumper:

The only thing holding the grille in place at this point is 27 little plastic tabs:

These seem easy enough, but it is a combination of unlatching these and BRUTE force to get the damn grille loose. It had my buddy and I scratching our head trying to figure out how to get this off until we finally just gorilla'd it off. Sorry, no pics of this part cause we were too frustrated.

After that, the new grille just snaps into place on the clips, and viola:

CircularPastry likes this.

Last edited by GTXgp; 02-11-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Next was the engine cover badge, just take the hose off that runs along the front of the cover:

...and you can then lift the cover straight up. The buick badge is held in place with little plastic retainers, just bend these all straight and the badge will come right off:

The Opel badge just clips back in its place:

The wheel center caps are pretty straight-forward, just pop off, pop on:

I was worried about the door sills, because the instructions seem "complicated" on the website, but upon further inspection.... they are just metalized stickers and pull right off:

Followed by replacement with the Opel. I used some masking tape to mark the location of the stockers:

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Finally, the trunk. I had already debadged the Buick and Regal GS logos so no pics of that. But, that is just a simple matter of a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen them... then some adhesive remover to get the gunk off that is left.

The Buick badge itself is just held in with pressure clips... so just pry on that and it pops right off:

HOWEVER, there was a surprise... and my first one of the day. Behind the Buick badge is black plastic. I knew from my prying before I started that this piece was seperate from the actual Buick badge, and I assumed that it would be reused with the Opel... I thought wrong:

The black plastic is SPECIFIC to the Buick, and the kit did not come with the Opel counterpart for this piece. I have already contacted Cebo and I am confident he will track down this piece and add it to the kit. In fact, the Buick plastic is curved versus the Opel being flat so there was no way for it to be reused. However, I was not about to leave a Buick badge on the back with Opel on the front so I improvised a solution. I had some black duct tape, and got to making my OWN black background:

...with a little trimming:

...and then the Opel badge:

Not pretty, but it will work until Cebo can get me the right part... and from a distance you can't even tell it is duct tape

Lastly, the rear badges... I used masking tape to get the location and level perfect before removing the adhesive backing:

Overall I am very happy with the conversion, it went very smooth and even taking our time it was a 2-hour job max. I also have a replacement airbag with Opel logo coming and I will update this thread with swap pics and info as soon as it arrives.

Adam

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 PM

Looks really good! Good job with the detailed installation instructions too.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bpwilmoth
Looks great!

Bryan Wilmoth
2011 Regal CXL Turbo
Trifecta Tune
T05, 20% Rear 30% Front Tint
MTX Re-Q Processor with Kenwood KAC 7204 Amp powering a Sundown Audio E-10 Subwoofer in a 1.1 cu/ft vented enclosure
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

looks good. I like it.

James -
2012 Chevy Express Cargo
2013 Chevy Volt
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 04:29 PM

Looks deadly. Let us know if they end up getting you the background clip for the rear badge. I will hold off on ordering until they have one.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

So, things are not looking good for the Opel black plastic.

If you look at the Buick parts diagram, it does have a separate part for the black plastic, #8 below:

However, on the Opel parts diagram, there is no matching piece:

Cebo is still trying to track down the necessary part, but another member suggested I fashion my own plastic from a CD case. It took about 3 different attempts to get it perfect:

In the end, it came out very nice:

Adam
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM

Nice!!! All that's left is to powder coat the black into your wheels.

Rob
2012 Regal GS | carbon black metallic | six-speed | nav, sunroof, 20s
trifecta | k&n | hud | rear fog lamp | GM acc lighting | debadged
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Hi, does anyone know if the CXL's bumper can be swapped out with that of the GS's?
Also, as the GS's bumper seems straightforward in removal, can the same procedure be applied to the CXL's?

Many thanks to you all.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Does anyone had his original Buick Logo for the tail.
the logo + the black backside.

Last edited by @thlon; 12-11-2012 at 08:34 PM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 05:23 PM

looking good GTX
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM

GTX that is one fine looking vehicle!

2012 Buick Regal GS
White Diamond Tricoat, Navi, Sunroof, 19's, Auto

Appearance Mods:
Debadged Buick, Rear 5K V-Leds
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 PM

Do you need for the steering wheel an airbag with Opel Logo?
I have a brand new, never been used.

And I am looking for an Buick regal airbag with cover and logo?

Maybe a trade?

And We can make a deal that I sent the airbag first, so the person who wants can install it and then sent me his Buick airbag, so you don't have to drive without it.

Still nobody??

It is an original brandnew airbag leather with Opel Logo for the same steering wheel as OPC, please contact me, I am looking this for a while now.

Last edited by @thlon; 01-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Hello, nice Car the GS.
Im writing from Germany. I want to buy in the USA some parts of the frontbumper of the Regal GS (2012). But there are some problems with a contact to "gmparts". They want to know my VIN but I`ve no VIN of a Regal GS. I`m driving an Opel Insignia OPC , the same car then the Regal GS, only with an V6 engine. Most parts are the same, esp. the front bumper and the parts of the air intake in the frontbumper at the left and right side (we told it "saber toothed").
Could you please give me your VIN, because GMPARTS dont make something without it. Or do you have another idea, where I can get the parts ?
Can you please help me ? Thanks a lot.
Best regards.
OPCMa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page