Dash Camera-tie into courtesy light ? - Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Dash Camera-tie into courtesy light ?

I am considering installation of a bulls-i etk1500 dash camera behind the rearview mirror on the inside windsheild. I don't want to thread the power cord along the outside of the pillar. Has anyone attempted to obtain 12v power from the courtesy light on the roof console for radar detector or any other 12v need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bpwilmoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtser View Post
I am considering installation of a bulls-i etk1500 dash camera behind the rearview mirror on the inside windsheild. I don't want to thread the power cord along the outside of the pillar. Has anyone attempted to obtain 12v power from the courtesy light on the roof console for radar detector or any other 12v need?
I installed a 3.5" LCD monitor for a backup camera

I probed ever wire I could find where the dome lights were and could only find 12V Constant and 12V Switched when the doors are opened. I have to turn on the dome light to power up my backup monitor. The monitor does not have a power button. What did I expect for $30?

I rarely need it, so I have not bothered adding a switch.

I hope this helps answer your question.

-Bryan

Bryan Wilmoth
2011 Regal CXL Turbo
Trifecta Tune
T05, 20% Rear 30% Front Tint
MTX Re-Q Processor with Kenwood KAC 7204 Amp powering a Sundown Audio E-10 Subwoofer in a 1.1 cu/ft vented enclosure
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:19 AM

I've been wanting a backup camera for my car. I wonder if there is a way to make use of the space between the bluetooth and the dome light. Having it fold neatly up and down.

2011 Buick Regal T-05

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to bpwilmoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozbyrt View Post
I've been wanting a backup camera for my car. I wonder if there is a way to make use of the space between the bluetooth and the dome light. Having it fold neatly up and down.
There is not a lot of room up there. I did not spend a bunch of time looking for small LCD monitors. I'm sure a good car stereo shop could come up with some ideas, or look into to Onstar mirror with the backup monitor.

Bryan Wilmoth
2011 Regal CXL Turbo
Trifecta Tune
T05, 20% Rear 30% Front Tint
MTX Re-Q Processor with Kenwood KAC 7204 Amp powering a Sundown Audio E-10 Subwoofer in a 1.1 cu/ft vented enclosure
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

What color wires ?

[QUOTE=pvtser;7977]I am considering installation of a bulls-i etk1500 dash camera behind the rearview mirror on the inside windsheild. I don't want to thread the power cord along the outside of the pillar. Has anyone attempted to obtain 12v power from the courtesy light on the roof console for radar detector or any other 12v need?

Bryan...which two wires did you tap into on the coutesy lights (Color?) I attempted to drop down the light assy to get into the harness but gave up when I could not find out where the tabs were. Need a constant 12v and ground for the camera. I considered the sun roof but no luck picking up the 12v and gnd.
If I get a 12v constant and gnd I will wire in a switch in the blank panel with an led.. then have the supply wires come out of the overhead by the front windshield.
Tx
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 PM

There is one type that the dash camera embedded inside the rearview mirror like this one: Embedded Rearview Mirror Dash Camera
very easy installation.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtser View Post

Bryan...which two wires did you tap into on the coutesy lights (Color?) I attempted to drop down the light assy to get into the harness but gave up when I could not find out where the tabs were. Need a constant 12v and ground for the camera. I considered the sun roof but no luck picking up the 12v and gnd.
If I get a 12v constant and gnd I will wire in a switch in the blank panel with an led.. then have the supply wires come out of the overhead by the front windshield.
Tx
there are 2 types of wiring, one is wire to your batt where it continuous suck your batt, the other is wire to your ignition where it will shut off when the engine shuts off. and also, if you are using finevu cr300 or other cameras with powermagic, it basically stops power supply once it detects the batt's voltage drops below a certain limit. if your camera has motion detect functionality, you can also use it so as to not consume that much batt.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 07:25 AM

I've been thinking i want to purchase an in car camera just to take nice videos and also for in case of accidents and such. I have seen some have the gopro and i think it is a nice video camera but looks kind of bulky. What is the best video camera for your car in your opinion? I would like something i could leave on while driving and then either download to my laptop or maybe a video card in it but not sure if they make them big enough to record more than an hour of video or so before having to change the card out. I searched and found some cute items on szswill.com, any reviews?

Last edited by tesma; 04-09-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page