Buick Regal Forums banner

Finding the Camshaft Position Sensor

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MissEmily580 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could please let me know the location of the camshaft position sensor on a Regal 2011 2.4l engine. I am not a mechanic but recently replaced the camshaft position actuator intake and exhaust valve solenoids, without any issues. Please see attached image showing two stainless steel solenoids. These were replaced and easy to find, after removing the plastic engine cover.

The second image which is a single sensor is what I am desperately trying to locate on my engine. This, it my understanding, regulates the timing and would explain why my revs are highly inconsistent. My engine feels like it is almost going to sputter and shut down and it did prior to my changing out the actuators mentioned above. That fix seemed to take the correction half way but rev stability, at idle remains very poor. Revs will remain consistent for a shot period of time and then start to sputter (engine actually shakes) and then it seems to cycle through and adjust back. So now I throw it into neutral, at a light and lightly apply gas to keep the revs at around 1k.

I have already purchased the camshaft position sensor, thinking that it would be easy to find (like the actuators) but am at a complete loss. I read somewhere that one has to take the timing chain cover off. Unfortunately, I am too much of an amateur to even find that.

I have seen some diagrams, but none provide a full view of the engine so that I can identify the general area.

I am sorry to come at a group of likely highly skilled technicians with such a silly question but if the switch out is something that I can do myself, I would be grateful for the guidance. I bought this car 6 months ago, with 36K miles and have had so many problems that it is driving me nuts. I do love her and when she is on the gallop she is a gorgeous ride. Just so many problems so early. Am now at 50K, so she is being used.

Thank you all for your patience and kind assistance.

P.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
OMG!!!!! I paid a mechanic for a tine up and he found that this problem for me and took care of it and now my car is doing the same thing! So here I am, surfing the web and I found you amazing ppl!!! So today's the day I get down to business and get my hands dirty and do this thing myself! Thank u to EVERYONE who replied to the original post and added the pics and diagrams! I'm so ready to do this now! I may be a chick, but I know my way around a car! Now that I'm a stay at home mom I have the time to do it myself! I bought the car used and there wasn't an owner's manual so... yeah. It's been a guessing game as to replacing fuses and whatever else. With the pics/diagrams on this forum I'm good to go! Super stoked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.