Buick Regal Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Regal Custom - 3.8
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1994 with the 3.8 naturally aspirated with a rod knock. I am working on pulling the engine but was able (with some difficulty) to remove the oil pan and confirm the #3 rod bearing was spun.

I am planning to pull the engine fully assembled and then measure the crank rod journal to determine if the crank can be refurbished. Any insight regarding the engine removal and evaluation process would be appreciated.

It appears the 1994 3.8 is what is classified as a generation 1 3800 that was used from 1993 - 1997(?) before being replaced with the generation 2 which was later replaced with the generation 3. My impression is that I could consider any generation 1 as a replacement engine but later generations would involve a lot more parts swapping if they would work at all. Any clarification regarding potential replacement options would be appreciated in case I determine that the crank cannot be saved.

·
Registered
1994 Regal Custom - 3.8
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I determined that the #3 connecting rod and related crank journal were damaged and repair would be too costly so I purchased a low mileage 1994 Buick LeSaber 3800 engine. Comparing the two engines there are a number of differences (oil filter adapter, water pump, upper radiator hose connection, engine mounts, etc.) but I am hoping that it will only be a matter of swapping parts over from the original engine to the replacement.

·
Registered
1994 Regal Custom - 3.8
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to close this out, I needed to swap over the oil filter adapter, left front engine mount, water temperature sensor, and fuel rail with injectors from the original engine to the replacement. I also swapped for other reasons (may have been required but not sure) the throttle body, ignition control and coil pack. I was planning to swap out the vibration damper, crank position sensor and cam position sensor but I was not able to break the crankshaft bolt loose and left those for another time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts