Buick Regal Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 4 years or so since I was on the forum. I had a 2011 Buick Regal CXL with the 2.4 L engine . For the 1st 50,000 km (30K miles) it was a bit of a pain, but once I got all of the factory bugs worked out it was a pretty reliable car. I kept it for 6 years and traded it in 2017 for a Chev Equinox (same drivetrain), which has been an reliable trouble free vehicle. At the time the Regal had about 200,000 km (120K miles) on it. We are considering buying another Regal to use as a second vehicle, but I wanted to get some sage advice from some of the members here. My old Regal was built in Germany. What do you members prefer - quality from the Oshawa Ontario plant or the German plant? I know there was some timing chain issues with the early 2.4 L engines - was this common to both plants or just one or the other? Are there a lot of issues with the 2.0 L turbo engines? I know it was hard getting some parts (brake rotors) for the German built Regals due to the bolt pattern. Was this an issue with the Canadina-built models? Finally, if you could choose a year and model of Regal from 2011 to 2015, which would it be? Thanks in advance and hello again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's been 4 years or so since I was on the forum. I had a 2011 Buick Regal CXL with the 2.4 L engine . For the 1st 50,000 km (30K miles) it was a bit of a pain, but once I got all of the factory bugs worked out it was a pretty reliable car. I kept it for 6 years and traded it in 2017 for a Chev Equinox (same drivetrain), which has been an reliable trouble free vehicle. At the time the Regal had about 200,000 km (120K miles) on it. We are considering buying another Regal to use as a second vehicle, but I wanted to get some sage advice from some of the members here. My old Regal was built in Germany. What do you members prefer - quality from the Oshawa Ontario plant or the German plant? I know there was some timing chain issues with the early 2.4 L engines - was this common to both plants or just one or the other? Are there a lot of issues with the 2.0 L turbo engines? I know it was hard getting some parts (brake rotors) for the German built Regals due to the bolt pattern. Was this an issue with the Canadina-built models? Finally, if you could choose a year and model of Regal from 2011 to 2015, which would it be? Thanks in advance and hello again!
A TourX if looking newer, but if your limit is 2015...Regal Turbo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve had 2015 (Canada) for 3 yrs, 30 - 70k so far. Cons: Sound system speakers are poor sound quality. Wind noise right window. Turbo lag. Hard seats. Pros: 34 mpg Hywy. 25 mpg allaround. Corners great. Looks good. Few issues, but still have extended warrantee. Shorter wheel base gives good cornering. Shorter than other models fit better in garage and parking.
Get a premium 2 if u can. No 6-cyl, get the 2 lt turbo. I’ve seen white which I think doesn’t look as good as other colors. I have red metallic looks great. After 2017 they get longer and longer wheelbase and body - lose sporty feel and look too long. 2015, 16, 17 has better looking rear IMO. I’ve kept mine longer than planned as I’ve enjoyed more than expected.
good luck and best wishes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2013 GS 2.0 Been a good car so far. 130,000km (85,000miles give or take) All the Regals German or Canadian will have metric fasteners. Car wakes up with the engine tune GM made available to Solstice owners but there is a place in Arizona that sells that tune if their still around. Replaced rear pads and rotors once and did one rear wheel brg. That’s it except oil changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2013 GS 2.0 Been a good car so far. 130,000km (85,000miles give or take) All the Regals German or Canadian will have metric fasteners. Car wakes up with the engine tune GM made available to Solstice owners but there is a place in Arizona that sells that tune if their still around. Replaced rear pads and rotors once and did one rear wheel brg. That’s it except oil changes.
My understanding is if you flash other than a Buick upgrade, u void the warranty on the engine and transmission. Although, I hear the flash will take a second off of 0 to 60 in the second half of quarter mile time. If Warranty is up it might be worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My understanding is if you flash other than a Buick upgrade, u void the warranty on the engine and transmission. Although, I hear the flash will take a second off of 0 to 60 in the second half of quarter mile time. If Warranty is up it might be worth it.
“And a second” off of quarter mile time. Damn voice to text.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m sure your right about voiding the factory warranty if they found it but you can leave the factory tune on the flasher and swap back and forth if your worried. It only takes a few minutes. Most of the turbo lag is gone along with the GM torque limitation. Whole lot better car. I’ve had it on the car for over 120,000kms and no issues. Got another 1-2 mpg also. Very close to 40mpg at steady 110km/hr.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts