Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A new compact crossover for GM's Buick brand will be built on a version of the upcoming Chevy Aveo platform. News of this surprising development comes from an unnamed source familiar with GM's Orion Township plant plans - which is where the unnamed Buick crossover will be built alongside the new Aveo.

Chevy has yet to unveil an Aveo production model, but did give a glimpse at the car, unveiling a concept (above) at the Detroit Auto Show with aggressive styling and a turbocharged 1.4-liter 4-cylinder engine with 138-hp.

Buick recently confirmed it would build a smaller crossover than the Enclave, but execs also said this new model would not ride on the same underpinnings as the Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain. What is unclear at this point is if the Aveo platform can support an AWD setup, meaning that either the baby-Enclave will be front-wheel drive only, or at the Aveo platform will be changed significantly.

A sub-compact crossover may just be what Buick needs to attract younger buyers to the brand – competing in a new segment with vehicles like the Nissan Juke.

More: Buick Compact Crossover to Use New Chevy Aveo Platform : Auto News on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
While it's good that Buick is doing well, am I the only one that thinks that maybe they're doing too much at once? The Regal isn't even out yet and they're looking at a new crossover... To me it would be better if they saw success from their current offerings here in North America before bringing out new cars.

On the other hand, I think that a crossover offering will be a great way to appeal to a larger market.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree to a certain extent. I believe that Buick knows what they are doing. I think that by building these new cars on existing platforms, they are covering themselves in a way... if the new model offerings are not a success, they really aren't loosing out that much, since the platform is used on another model.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with both points, but have to add, if this new crossover is being built on the Aveo platform, it's going to be terribly small... the Aveo isn't a huge car. I guess I'll have to wait and see what it will look like before I draw any conclusions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts