Buick Regal Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look through the threads, you will see that I have had my 2011 Buick Regal turbo into 2 different dealers to get repaired. 6 visits and the problem still exists.

Uncommanded braking upon starting up of the car. Along with this, the brake peddle is very still - as if the master cylinder isn't providing any power.

One instance of this happening this year and the worst was upon finishing work over a weekend, I started up the car and when I put the drive selector into reverse, it was apparent that the brake peddle wasn't the normal much but very stiff. I had to use the accelerator peddle to move the car out of the parking space. I drove about 2 1/2 miles and checked the calipers and found the front calipers hot to the touch the rears cold. Since ever other time of this happening it only lasted for a 1-2 miles and that it was after 730pm, I decided to drive home. Well the issue continued and became worse to the point where the steering wheel shook left/right as the rotors were heating up and became out of balance. I even called Onstar to have them run a diagnostics check to see if they could come up with something so the service department could fix the problem. NOTHING. It finally stopped after about 12-15 miles. Once it got to the dealership, besides the fact that the Roadside assistance couldn't get their act together, the only thing they found - besides the front rotors being out of balance - was a brake sensor had not been calibrated. Which had been replaced by a different dealer 9 months or so earlier.

Since that visit, this issue has happened 3 more times. After the dealer took a look at the car and attempted fixing the issue listed above, it happened the weekend afterward I picked it up. Again the dealer couldn't fix the car. Well, its happened 2 more times since this second visit and I have asked Buick to either fix the car or buy it back. I just heard back today and they said they will not buy it back.

I have asked them to certify the car so I could unload it. I also informed that since 2 out of my last 3 car purchases have had mechanical issues that nobody wanted to fix that I would not longer buy GM products. Since graduating college all I have purchased were GM vehicles. Ive had 1 other vehicle bought back from me due to mechanical issues and this would be the 3rd and final car that I have had to sell where the dealer would not fix the car.

I have spent 23+ years in the military and I fly for a major airline. With their reply, its as if my integrity is being called into question.

I have enjoyed driving the 2011 Buick Regal Turbo with the sole exception of this problem. A problem they are unable to fix. I will not purchase vehicles from a company that will not stand by their products.

As such I am advising anyone who will listen to not buy GM since they will not stand by their vehicles.

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The issue happened again. After coming home from a trip with work, I get to the parking lot, get in and start up the Regal. Immediately I could tell there was a problem with how the brake peddle felt. Sure enough, the problem was there. The THIRD time this month. The car would not move without the help of the accelerator peddle - and yes the parking brake was off. 0 mph forward while in drive, 0 mph in reverse. Brake peddle stiff as though the master cylinder was not providing power.

I find it interesting that Buick says they have tried all avenues to try and fix the problem yet it still persists. I offered up another area to search but the Buick rep. Last summer a part was replaced that was calibrated. After no further issues for almost 9 months, this issue happened again. The dealership said the part needed to be calibrated. Having been in the military, when a part that requires calibrating, its in the tech order to calibrate it before buttoning everything up.

IMHO, either the dealership is cutting corners, the mechanic is incompetent or there's a problem with that system. Add in that the problem didn't return for around 9 months, Im inclined to believe there is a problem with the system. I also feel that heat has a part in the problem as this problem has only happened when its warm (thus indicating to me a possible electrical connection).

As far as I know, this aspect of the issue has not been looked into but Buick Customer Service has said that all avenues have been exhausted to fix the car.

Yup, they really stand behind their products.

I wonder what would happen if this problem causes a major accident and a life is lost how it would look to a jury. The fact that they have failed to address this issue all while saying they have exhausted all avenues might end up added a few zero's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue on my wifes 2011 CXL. We took it to the dealer a couple of times and they were unable to reproduce the issue. I honestly didn't believe my wife for a long time as it would never happen when I was driving, then one day...it did. I sat down and started searching for anyone else with the problem but didn't really find anything so I starting searching TSB databases and happened across one that sounded all too familiar to our problem. I had a friend that works in a local dealership pull the actual TSB and give me a printout which I handed to the service manager at my local Buick dealership. They made the changes recommended in the TSB and the problem has been resolved since. When the fix was complete, I had just run out of warranty but since it was reported multiple times during the warranty period I was not charged at all....and my wife was given a loaner during the time it took to get the parts in stock. Cannon Buick in Lakeland, FL. Not a bad bunch over there but I wish I didn't have to do the research for them.

Why we, as the consumer, have to dig up data that is already in the dealers systems is beyond me but as in most things, you are your best advocate.

Description: GENERAL MOTORS: BRAKE PEDAL DOES NOT RAISE AFTER APPLY BRAKES REMAIN APPLIED OR BRAKE LIGHTS ON UNWANTED. THE CONDITION MAY OCCUR IN HIGH TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY CONDITIONS AND MAY NOT BE REPEATABLE. *JS UPDATED 08/28/2012 *JS UPDAT

Date Reported
JULY 01 2012

NHTSA Reference

TSB Reference
#PIC 5692

1 - 3 of 3 Posts