Buick Regal Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As requested here is a basic write up. Let me know if there are any questions.

Tools Needed-
Fishing wire nylon (at least 15 lb test)
Sunshine
Some type of polish that labeled “cleaner”. The Over The Counter stuff you should be able to get from mothers, meguires, zymol, etc.
Gloves

Optional-
Hair Dryer
Interior Panel Removal Tool (can bought at harbor freight for $10)
Piece of thick cardboard

1. First be sure the badge area is clean. That means all dirt, sand, etc is gone from the badge area.

2. Let the car sit in direct sun for a few hours. You can help this along with the hair dryer moved back and forth over the emblem you want to remove for 5 minutes on high. This step helps the double sided tape become soft and easier to remove.

3. Cut your fishing line into a 12-14 inch long piece. Proceed to wrap it around one or two fingers several times. Your going to do this with both hands, even though I am only showing one. Leave a 6-7 inch piece of line between your two hands.

4. Get the line behind a corner of the badge, choose either the right or left side. Position your hands so the line is in a diagonal line. Slowly work the line back and forth with both hands, in a sawing motion. Keep medium pressure upwards on the line also, pulling away from the surface of the vehicle while your moving the line. Take your time and you will slowly start to cut through the double sided tape on the emblem. You should be able to get about a ¼ of the way through the tape towards the center of the badge. There is a possibility the line may break. Just throw it away and cut yourself a new piece of line and start again.

5. Move to the opposite side of the badge and repeat the step 4 until you get about a ¼ way through the tape on the opposite side.

6. Using a panel removal tool with a piece of cardboard underneath it, slide it to one of the corners. Slowly work the edge of the badge up with the tool. Do this until the badge pulls up enough that you can get your finger under the badge. You need a large enough space to be able to have leverage to pull up with your finger. You may be able to do this step with just your finger if you take your time and pull at the edge of the badge with your finger and move it further and further out.

7. Once the edge of the badge is up enough that you can get your finger under it, then slide a finger on top and a finger on bottom and slowly pull the badge away from the surface. Pull in a straight motion and pull slowly. You’re essentially breaking loose the middle of the double sided tape as you have already cut through the two edges.

8. Here is a shot of the badge showing the double sided tape and it’s “cut” edges and the center part that gets pulled off.

9. You may have some parts of the double sided tape that are left on the paint. Carefully scrape them away with your fingernail. Alternatively if you can pull at the pieces with your fingers, pull them off that way.

10. You may be left with some slight sticky residue or an outline of where the double sided tape was. Apply your “cleaner” to the area using whatever methods you want.

11. Remove your "cleaner" however your going to and your all done.

Things I am going to tackle in the next month and should do DYI for-
Install a k&n drop in panel filter
Install aftermarket HID low beam kit
Install precut clearbra parts
Install front brake pads
Full exterior detailing
Steering Wheel Wrap
Custom shifter boot/center console leather
Hardwire radar detector
Installing an Aeroforce Gauge

Things I am going to tackle in next few months down the road and should do DYI for-
Tint Sidemarkers change out
Tint Taillights change out
Install H&R springs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice wrote up, goo gone works wonders in the adhesive and hasn't messed up paint in my experience.

Question, can the regal badge be removed or is it drilled?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice write up. I like just keeping the T. I've always found heating the badge up with the hair dryer really helps as well. Funny, Iv'e seen two on the lot with what looks liek the Turbo from an insignia, not the "T" badge.
GM always has a habit of over-badging their vehicles. The more you spend, the more badges. Personally I think it should go the other way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great information. I used dental floss to debadge and Goo-Gone. Very simple and no damage. Using the same procedure as discribed.

I'd be really interested in the Aeroforce guage install. I can't seem to find aftermarket parts easily for the 2011 cars. Had dual Aeroforce in my GTO mounted in the center of the dash in a guage pod. But not sure where in the Regal other than possibly in the A-pillar.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
115 Posts
Great writing up, cannot wait till you hard wire the radio detector into it!

Still debating of purchasing one and decided where to put it..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Question, can the regal badge be removed or is it drilled?
It is not drilled and just has more of the same adhesive.

I'd be really interested in the Aeroforce guage install. I can't seem to find aftermarket parts easily for the 2011 cars. Had dual Aeroforce in my GTO mounted in the center of the dash in a guage pod. But not sure where in the Regal other than possibly in the A-pillar.

Thanks, Jeff
Great writing up, cannot wait till you hard wire the radio detector into it!

Still debating of purchasing one and decided where to put it..
I actually have stopped daily driving the buick and am back to my gto so i haven't had the need to move forward with those things i was going to do. Regardless in the next few months I will be completing them and will update with new threads. I think i might have a well priced roof spoiler in the works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts