Buick Regal Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Regal GS SC

From what I understand, a supercharger should show the most advantage at the lower half of your RPM, and be immediately available. That's certainly how the Regal GS performs, but I notice there's a supercharge pressure meter, which never really seems to budge above 0.0. Is this just a back-pressure sensor, or does it measure the actual utilization of the supercharger?

Either way, what conditions bet utilize the supercharger?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What do you mean by what conditions best utilize the sc? That year regal is known for having gauge issues, but the boost gauge should be working just fine. I miss my 3800 supercharged cars lol ever consider buying an interceptor gauge? Very very useful I recommend it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know about the 99s but I'm my 2003 GS there was a bypass valve that would equalize the pressure on the intake and discharge side of the supercharger. This was done to not waste power driving a blower that wasn't actively producing boost. When the throttle was opened enough that vacuum measured at the intake manifold dropped to near zero that bypass valve would slam shut and presto.......instant boost was available. The factory boost gauge only reads positive pressure so the only time you see anything is when you are actually making boost. When the throttle was closed vacuum would build again and the bypass would open and unload the supercharger again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts