Buick Regal Forum : 2011 Buick Regal Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I keep getting the email reminders for me to sign up to Onstar with my other OnStar equipped car.

The subscription fee here in Canada is 24.95/month or 39.90/month with the addition of turn by turn navigation.

IMO this price level is out right ridiculous and would never subscribe to it.

I do love all the features that OnStar provides. Ie unlocking your car for you when locked your keys into the car. Instanly calling for help the second your in a crash. Immobilizing a stolen vehicle. I mean there great features but, how often will you ever use it, Is lets say 450 a year for having piece of mind when you drive worth it? Ontop of your insurance and everything else.

I've watched all the promotional videos on the service it offers and seems like they are playing the "Fear card" to promote OnStar....what if you're in an accident, what if a hurricane is heading your way, what if you forgot your cell phone at home and still need to make an important call, what if your air pressure is low or there's a diagostic saying your vehicle isn't running properly blah, blah, blah.

Just courious what other people think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hmmm... the "fear" card? I guess every insurance out there is playing that "fear" card. Onstar is much like insurance in that it is one of those products you pay for and hope never to have to use. The basic safe and sound plan is $199/ year. Directions and Connections is $299/year. I will keep at least the safe and sound plan when my 6 months is up. To me, Onstar is more important than any extended warranty. If you don't have the warranty when you need it, maybe it costs you $1,000. If you don't have Onstar and you need it,... well, there goes that "fear" card again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
onstar renewal

You can get it a little cheaper than that. Found this on one of the other Buick forums. This was dated 2/22/11.

Our free OnStar trial period expires tomorrow so I renewed the Safe and Sound today. I thought seriously about canceling as we haven't used the OnStar features at all but decided to keep it another year. I do like the emails and the OnStar MyLink app on our phone; kind of cool but certainly not necessary. I had received emails offering the Safe and Sound plan for $149 for a year. I decided to call to see if I could do any better. The lady told me $199 for a year. I said No thanks, I have an email that gives me $50 off that price. So she transferred me to the 'Customer Loyalty Group' to see if they could give me a better deal. The lady there offered me $198 and change... Seriously?? I told her I have the email offer of $149 so she matched that and gave me 2 free months.

So I ended up with 14 months of Safe and Sound for $149; no taxes or fees. Basic OnStar for under 11 bucks a month - I won't complain about that even though we hopefully won't ever use the services.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is strong. I have never heard of that, but I can't think why anyone would make that up. I hope I get that email. Even if I don't, I guess I could call and say "a friend of mine got this deal and I want it too". Hmmm... I hope if anyone else successfully knocks the price down they will post and let us know about it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well most people keep there cars for 5 years. And problems start to come out just before those 5 years of ownership. Ive never had to repair any of my cars for more than 800$.

As for the OnStar Customer services for that much of a hassle was it really worth it for you?

maybe i should give my OnStar rep a call and see whats up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow, that is an awful story. I have never heard anything like that before. I know a guy who swears by Onstar after an accident he was in. On the flipside, I know a 911 operator who can't stand Onstar.

Here in Pearland, TX, we had a woman kidnapped and carjacked for her Caddi in broad daylight at a major shopping center. Inexplicably, though there were witnesses, the police did not learn of the crime until nearly 2 hours later. They found the Caddi within 45 minutes using Onstar. Unfortunately too late for the woman. However, I have to think that had there been a decent human being at all calling 911, Onstar might have saved that woman's life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts