·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My car is a "Buick Regal Turbo Premium 2"
Model: 2013
mileage: 24,153

I have leased this vehicle in December 2012 and my lease will end in December 2014. I like this vehicle a lot and I can certainly say that this car is better than Audi A4 2013 model.
But, in the last 4 months I have started to see an abnormal behavior of this car. The car did show me this issue in past (1.5 years i have driven it).

Issue: When I apply brakes to slow down from 45-50mph or greater and the car is slowing down to stop at red light or a situation that causes me to take my foot off the gas and brake, so that my speed comes down, The idle will stay at whatever the cruising idle was for about 3-4 seconds, then increase a 200 -400 hundred RPMs, then come down to the normal RPM. The car actually accelerates a tiny bit with my foot off the gas.
I feel that the transmission is shifting its gears down and is trying hard to catch up to the current cruising speed, feels like the transmission's brain is getting confused :)
Sometimes, even with my foot on the brake when coming to a stop sign, the idle goes up a couple hundred RPM.

Note: I started seeing this issue once I crossed 18000k miles, never experienced this issue before. And is easy to reprduce with my AC on.

I have taken it to the buick dealership 4 times now and every time they tell me that they cannot reproduce it, but during the last visit I had the technician sit next to me and reproduced the issue and then he tells me that its a normal behavior in Regal Turbo's and nothings wrong.

I planning to buy the car at the end of my lease term and would like to understand if this is really an issue or as the technician said "Normal Behavior in Turbs's ".
One thing that I cannot wrap my head around is, if this is a normal behavior then, why did it not show up in the first 1.5 years I have had this car, in which I have put about 18000 miles.

I am just scared of the idea that, as soon as I buy this car and couple months usage the dealership says the transmission has a problem, I don't want to be in such a situation. Please suggest and advice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi BabyRegal,

We certainly understand how this matter can be a bit unsettling. We want you to feel confident in your purchase and would be happy to do some additional research on our end. If interested, please private message your VIN, full contact information and dealership name to our page. We're also available via email at [email protected] [attn Amber]. Please let us know if we can help.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Amber,

Thank you for taking time and responding. I have sent an email with all the information requested to [email protected] with sub:"[attn Amber] response to rpm jumps during deceleration issue".
Please let me know if you need any further information and feel free to reach me out on the phone number I provided.

Once again thank you for the response and hope the issue resolves at the earliest.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello All,

Took the car to another dealership and it was confirmed that the behavior, I have been complaining about is normal. I had the technician ride with me on a test drive where he himself was able to reproduce the issue and as soon as he saw that he was like "This is normal, its the American desire to feel everything within the car" per the technician this something that was deliberately built into the cars built for American market, he further stated that the same behavior cannot be seen if the same car was purchased in Europe.
Per the technician, the Regal turbo's have a 6 speed transmission and the raise in RPM while deceleration is actually the way of communication between the RPM motor and the transmission to sync-up with each other [American built cars are programmed to show this behavior for the so called need to feel of everything, the american way]. He assured that the vehicle is actually not gaining any momentum but is trying to cut it while getting it self adjusted with RPM motor.
Now, the question I have to GM folks is why would the same car be built differently for different markets ? and if what the technician says is true.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is shocking that these so called "technicians" would tell their customers things like "this is normal, or they can't hear or reproduce anything" But the last one takes the cake "This is normal, it's the American desire to feel everything within the car"
American built cars are programmed to show this behavior for the so called need to feel of everything, the American way.

~
Oh Really???

Translation: I absolutely have no clue what's wrong with your car. Come back when warranty expires.

Maybe GM should properly train their technicians to address the issues instead of hogwashing people with this type of nonsense.

If I were you I'd stop wasting time on dealer's intellectuals and find tuners that can do ECU EEPROM/FLASH or chiptune your computer, Trifecta comes to mind.

Trifecta Performance

Trifecta tune 2011-2013 Buick Regal GS

GS Trifecta tune availabilty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Signia,

Thanks for your inputs, that's exactly what I felt when the technician said its normal working as designed. "BS"
I am thinking of taking it to a 3rd party transmission expert to have it checked for transmission issue while downshifting that might cause the RPM to rise.

Will keep all posted.

@Amber : Do you have any updated on my question ? u there ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did you receive my email, BabyRegal? I appreciate your feedback and although I am not an engineer, I'll do my best to find more information on this matter.

Thank you

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
6 Posts

Hello All,

Took the car to another dealership and it was confirmed that the behavior, I have been complaining about is normal. I had the technician ride with me on a test drive where he himself was able to reproduce the issue and as soon as he saw that he was like "This is normal, its the American desire to feel everything within the car" per the technician this something that was deliberately built into the cars built for American market, he further stated that the same behavior cannot be seen if the same car was purchased in Europe.
Per the technician, the Regal turbo's have a 6 speed transmission and the raise in RPM while deceleration is actually the way of communication between the RPM motor and the transmission to sync-up with each other [American built cars are programmed to show this behavior for the so called need to feel of everything, the american way]. He assured that the vehicle is actually not gaining any momentum but is trying to cut it while getting it self adjusted with RPM motor.
Now, the question I have to GM folks is why would the same car be built differently for different markets ? and if what the technician says is true.

2 things. #1 like you said why did it not do this till 18,000 miles. #2 if its really programmed that way then I want it de-programmed. It does not feel safe and the extra unnecessary rpms is burning more fuel. So its necessary to accelerate while I'm sitting at a red light so if I don't have a firm hold on the peddle I can ass end somebody?!?! No no no no!! People are totally correct, they have no clue what their talking about. With everything so heavily computer controlled now a days I bet it is something wrong with the programming, not designed that way. I sure hope your documenting all of this. Your going to need it when it all of a sudden accelerates out of control. Not to scare you. I had an 89 blazer years ago. It all of a sudden would accelerate at red lights and dad actually ass ended someone. It ended up being the idle air control valve or the throttle position sensor,can't remember.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, went to dealer again today, had the technician sit next to me and showed him my concern. Here is what he had to say:

This is what is written in the description/notes of my work sheet:
"TRANSMISSION ISSUE. ENGINE RPM'S JUMP ON DECELERATION. COMPLAINED OF IT BEFORE HOWEVER AT THE THAT TIME WE TOLD HIM IT WAS NORMAL ISSUE. CUSTOMER STATES IT IS NOT.
TEST DROVE WITH CUSTOMER. CUSTOMER DUPLICATED HIS CONCERN.COAST DOWN FROM 45RPM TO 30RPM. NO BRAKE AND FOOT OFF GAS PEDAL. CUSTOMER FEELS TCC DISENGAGE AND SEE'S RPM JUMP OF +500 RPM ON GUAGE. NO MECHANICAL ISSUE IN TRANS.(SOFTWARE ISSUE). CHECK FOR UPDATES. ALL UP TO DATE.
CUSTOMER CAN CALL GM AND SUBMIT FIELD PRODUCT REPORT.HOWEVER THERE IS NO FIX FOR CUSTOMER CONCERN AT THIS TIME. THE VEHICLE IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED"

So apparently the jerk and RPM's shoot up is because of the torque converter disengaging.
The answer to why would the car start doing this all of a sudden (for last 6 or 7 months) is because now the trans has an idea of my driving style and based of that it the software make the stuff work.

Do any one else see the same behavior, I am just trying to understand to decide if I should keep the car or just return it (as it is a leased vehicle).

Question to Amber/GM folks: How do I file a field report and can i expect this issue to be fixed with the next software update.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey BabyRegal,
I don't know if this will help you at all but I have a used 2011 Regal turbo and I have rpm jump when slowing down between 40-30mph. It doesn't seem to be concerning at all though

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Here is the thing. All manufactures make different runs of the same cars all the time for different markets. In Europe for example you can get the Opel Insignia(Buick Regal) with a 2.8 turbo charged v6 with all wheel drive. here, nope. In 2011 the regal was actually a rebadged insignia shipped from Germany. You can verify this by checking the VIN code. Different Fuels and emission standards are other factors. So it is in fact a very common practice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts