Buick Regal Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Buick Regal CXL, and recently after a battery replacement I've noticed the brake needs to be pressed significantly further than before (almost all the way down) to allow me to shift out of park. Is there a way for me to adjust the amount I need to press on the brake before the shift lock release system disengages?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Kolbuc,

Was your battery replaced at the dealership by chance? If so, we would suggest making them aware of this new concern. We recognize you're seeking advice here on the forum, however if you would like assistance getting in contact with GM Canada about this we'll gladly reach out to them on your behalf. If interested, please private message us your VIN, full contact information and preferred service center.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kolbuc,

Was your battery replaced at the dealership by chance? If so, we would suggest making them aware of this new concern. We recognize you're seeking advice here on the forum, however if you would like assistance getting in contact with GM Canada about this we'll gladly reach out to them on your behalf. If interested, please private message us your VIN, full contact information and preferred service center.

Amber N.
Buick Customer Care
Hi Amber,

No it wasn't changed at the dealer. I had Canadian Tire do diagnostics and replace the battery. On the same day I also had recall services done at Buick on my vehicle for the turn signal outage indicator and an oil life monitor update in which they reprogrammed the computer module.

I'm not sure if any of these are directly related to my shift lock release system brake pedal depth issues or if they just happened to occur around the same time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Amber,

No it wasn't changed at the dealer. I had Canadian Tire do diagnostics and replace the battery. On the same day I also had recall services done at Buick on my vehicle for the turn signal outage indicator and an oil life monitor update in which they reprogrammed the computer module.

I'm not sure if any of these are directly related to my shift lock release system brake pedal depth issues or if they just happened to occur around the same time.

Thanks.
Thanks for clarifying, Kolbuc. Sadly, we're unable to verbally diagnose your vehicle online. However, if you're interested in working with GM Canada we can reach out to them on your behalf to connect you with the team best fit to help. Please let us know if you're interested!

Best,
Amber N.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
27 Posts
I replied to your other post but I just wanted people to be aware. The same day I had my turn signal indicator module replace I too have to press hard on the brake to get the shifter to move!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello Captainjohn,

I understand that you are experiencing the same issue your shift lock release system. Thank you for providing your VIN but could you private message us your full name, phone number, current mileage, and preferred dealership? I would like to create a case in our system to document your vehicle concern.

Thank you,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got the same thing - AND the cruise control won't engage! 2011 Regal 2.4L. Last 8 VIN=B1011800...
Me too. Shift lock release and cruise control are both an issue for me.

This seems to be common. I wonder how many others are affected? I hope they fix both of these issues for those affected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks to the whole crew at Jake Sweeney Chevrolet! They say they "relearned [the] brake pedal position sensor." The shifter and cruise control are now working properly again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to the whole crew at Jake Sweeney Chevrolet! They say they "relearned [the] brake pedal position sensor." The shifter and cruise control are now working properly again.
That's good news. Did they say if it was related to the recall? I'm out of warranty on mine so I'm hesitant to bring it in. Did they charge you?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello, Captainjohn! I've responded to your other post as well, but just wanted to let you know we're happy to hear the dealership was able to take care of this for you. Please let us know if you're interested in sending a formal dealership compliment to Jake Sweeney Chevrolet.

Best,
Amber N.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kolbuc - I'm still under warranty, so my fix was no-charge. (I'd say free, but my time is not free.) I had printed out the threads from here, put them on the counter while we discussed the problem, and mentioned what was going on with other owners. They did state that the recall required replacement of a wiring harness and programming. The recall details, here: 2011 Buick Regal Recalls & Problems - Motor Trend Magazine only mention the programming. I hope they fix yours no-charge. The problems were NOT coincidental - three owners with the same problem from the same programming. I feel badly for other owners who do not realize these forums exist, and will tolerate/shrug off this problem. I imagine their next car will not say Buick on the owner's manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By providing my dealership these conversations and my research from this forum, I was able to convince them to perform the break sensor re-learning and cruise control recalibration at no-charge.

You would think Buick dealerships would scan the odb2 codes before and after service recalls and/or Buick would have these re-learn/recalibration steps built in to the step-by-step process when performing these recall services. I hope they iron out these wrinkles for other Buick owners as this was not a pleasant experience.

Thanks for the everyone's responses, without them I'd still be a frustrated Bruick owner with a broken vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts