Buick Regal Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Regal Turbo with AT.

Curious if anyone is having problems with an uncommanded braking shortly after starting up and heading down the road.

I had the parking brake set, and turned it off after starting up. When I touch the brake peddle, it doesn't have the normal mushy feel but rather its firm. No doubt in the difference. When I take my foot off the accelerator, the car doesn't coast but slows down. When cruising on a level road, the instant MPG shows 20-22 whereas in the same area and absent the problem, it shows 34-38 mpg.

Im sure at least one of the brakes are grabbing. Since there isn't any pulling to the left or right, I would think its a matched pair of either the front or back axle.

Ive had it into the dealer twice for this same issue last year. They couldn't duplicate. If they can't fix this time around, I may get rid of the car and walk away from GM products.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a 2011 Regal Turbo with AT.

Curious if anyone is having problems with an uncommanded braking shortly after starting up and heading down the road.

I had the parking brake set, and turned it off after starting up. When I touch the brake peddle, it doesn't have the normal mushy feel but rather its firm. No doubt in the difference. When I take my foot off the accelerator, the car doesn't coast but slows down. When cruising on a level road, the instant MPG shows 20-22 whereas in the same area and absent the problem, it shows 34-38 mpg.

Im sure at least one of the brakes are grabbing. Since there isn't any pulling to the left or right, I would think its a matched pair of either the front or back axle.

Ive had it into the dealer twice for this same issue last year. They couldn't duplicate. If they can't fix this time around, I may get rid of the car and walk away from GM products.
Hi Mark,

I deeply apologize for the frustration that this braking issue and the inability to replicate it have caused you. I see that Andraya has already reached out to you regarding this concern, but I would like to reiterate that if decide you want an extra layer of assistance working with the dealership, feel free to PM us.

Have a great weekend,

Austin J.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Austin,

I had to attend a training course with work today. Got out a little after 7pm tonight. It happened again.

I backed out of the parking spot and could tell the brake had not released. The parking brake was NOT set. I could easily tell that the brakes were engaged and slowing the car. Everything was affected. Took more push on the accelerator peddle to get the car going, the brake peddle was stiff, take my foot off of the accelerator peddle and the car would not coast but slow to a stop - and when it came to a stop you could definitely tell it stopped - even with a slight decline. I drove almost 3 miles to check which set of brakes was grabbing. Both front brake calipers were very warm to the touch and the rear brakes were cold to the touch. With it being Saturday night, now where else to go and that in the past it didn't last but a few miles, I continued to drive home. The braking action continued for many miles further - the front steering wheel even started to shake rotating to the right and left as if the rotors were out of balanced. The tire pressure when I checked was at 2 PSI higher than the rear tires - normally they are the same and maybe 1 PSI difference.

I called Onstar to have them run a diagnostic check and nothing came up. I then asked them to coordinate to have the vehicle picked up first thing monday morning to be towed to Ewing Buick at 7am Monday morning.

I consider this car a safety hazard. I expect Buick to fix this car. I expect Ewing to keep the car until they get it fixed. A could not duplicate is unacceptable considering this issue started last summer and is continuing again this spring. If Ewing can't fix this issue, I expect Buick to buy the car back and if they want to keep me as a GM customer, to give me a deal that suits MY terms. Its that simple. This braking issue is a LIABILITY and Buick should address it and make it right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before I left the parking lot I tried to do a few things:
- Cycled the parking brake
- pushed the brake peddle as far as I could 4 times
- Moved the shift lever between Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive.

When in Neutral, I could definitely tell the car acted like the parking brake was active. If the car was rolling a little, it would flat out stop as if the brakes were stepped on hard.

I have no idea what brake system that uses the front brakes, but after checking all 4 of the brake calipers by hand, the front brakes were hot to the touch and the rear were cold. No doubt that the front brakes are causing the problem.

Again, I am considering this a SAFTY issue. Being a pilot and flying for a major commercial carrier (USAF before that), if this was a jet, I would not fly it until I knew it was fixed. CND is unacceptable since this is now a known brake issue.

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have yet to be contacted by ANYONE. So when you say that Andraya has reached out to me, I have no record of anyone contacting me.

No phone call, no email, NOTHING.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Mark,

I apologize for any miscommunication. Please send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name. We will be glad to contact them on your behalf and assist with setting up an appointment in order for your vehicle to be properly diagnosed. We apologize for any frustration this may have caused and we look forward to hear from you.

Kristen A.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After the fiasco I had to deal with this morning with your towing folks, sending out non flatbed tow trucks when a known braking issue, I am beginning to lose confidence that this issue can get fixed. Hopefully the switch in dealerships will help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Mark,

We are sorry to hear of this concern you experienced this morning. I see that you have sent us a private message and I will be responding to it shortly.

Kristen A.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last update ...

Since Ive picked the car up from the dealer back in May, the problem showed up again and I took it back to the dealer for them to try and fix. They did get the engineering department involved and tried a few things but since then, its happened twice this month.

With the first time it the issue happened like originally did - it only lasted a couple of miles. The second time it lasted 3 to 4 times longer.

With the problem the car will only go as fast as 2 mph forward, 0 mph in reverse with not touching either the brake or accelerator peddle. Normally you have to control your speed with the brake peddle with either going forward or reverse. The brake peddle does not have the normal mush but is very firm almost as if the master cylinder isn't providing pressure.

I have asked Buick to buy the vehicle back since they can't fix the problem. They have said no.

With that being the case, it tells me that Buick does not stand behind their product and so I will not buy another GM vehicle. Thats saying a lot since I have only purchased GM vehicles since I graduated college back in 1990.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kristen,

You can be as sorry as you want, but I need a car thats runs and can be fixed. Since the dealership can't fix it and Buick isn't standing behind the vehicle, then my hands will be tied.

I fly for an airline and I have to have a reliable vehicle to get me to the airport. The airline has a flight schedule that we try to do what we can to be on time. As such, I don't have the option to show up whenever. With the problem this car has and that Buick can't fix it, nor will they buy it back then its obvious to me that Buick does not stand behind their products.

Of the last 3 GM vehicles I have purchased, this would be the second one sold due to a mechanical issue where GM would not stand behind their product. Of the 11 GM vehicles I have purchased, 1 has been bought back from me and 2 others sold because GM wouldn't fix the problem. This is car #3.

With 4 out of the 11 vehicles having problems and GM only standing behind 1 of them, can you explain to me why I should buy another GM vehicle? If you can't stand behind your products then you do not deserve to have repeat business.

So if you are truly sorry, then I would like some sort of action to get the problem resolved. Either fix the car or buy the car back.

V/r,

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue on my wifes 2011 CXL. We took it to the dealer a couple of times and they were unable to reproduce the issue. I honestly didn't believe my wife for a long time as it would never happen when I was driving, then one day...it did. I sat down and started searching for anyone else with the problem but didn't really find anything so I starting searching TSB databases and happened across one that sounded all too familiar to our problem. I had a friend that works in a local dealership pull the actual TSB and give me a printout which I handed to the service manager at my local Buick dealership. They made the changes recommended in the TSB and the problem has been resolved since. When the fix was complete, I had just run out of warranty but since it was reported multiple times during the warranty period I was not charged at all....and my wife was given a loaner during the time it took to get the parts in stock. Cannon Buick in Lakeland, FL. Not a bad bunch over there but I wish I didn't have to do the research for them.

Why we, as the consumer, have to dig up data that is already in the dealers systems is beyond me but as in most things, you are your best advocate.

Description: GENERAL MOTORS: BRAKE PEDAL DOES NOT RAISE AFTER APPLY BRAKES REMAIN APPLIED OR BRAKE LIGHTS ON UNWANTED. THE CONDITION MAY OCCUR IN HIGH TEMPERATURE AND HUMIDITY CONDITIONS AND MAY NOT BE REPEATABLE. *JS UPDATED 08/28/2012 *JS UPDAT

Date Reported
JULY 01 2012

NHTSA Reference

TSB Reference
#PIC 5692

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Buick Regal Braking Issues - Uncommanded

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Buick Regal Turbo model. When it is hot outside and I leave work, the car will randomly start to apply the brakes by themselves. The car will immediately slow down (like I'am braking) if I take my foot off the accelerator. Most of the time I am in traffic moving at 45 to 55 miles per hour. I have to push the accelerator pedal further down to maintain speed; next the car's front end will start to shake and the shaking will gradually increase to the point that it is scary. As soon as I find a place to pull over, I do. I usually pump the brake pedal about 6 times and the problem is gone. About 15,000 miles ago (May 2015), I replaced both front rotors, brake pads on all four wheels and one caliper on the rear driver side and one on the passenger front side. Also, I replace the caliper alignment pins on both front calipers, clean everything and applied new grease, check all the rubber boots. The results after spending about $300 in parts (labor charge $0; I did the work), I was sure the problem was fixed. It should be noted, that I did not really see any problems (find the smoking gun) with the parts I replaced besides normal wear. Anyway, about 3 or 4 weeks after that, the problem came back and was random again - sometimes I would go 500 or 600 miles without the problem.

After searching the internet for a solution, I read enough to reasonable conclude it might be the master brake cylinder; there are spool pieces (valves) inside that slide back in-place after you let off the brakes to release the fluid pressure applied to the calipers. If the spool piece gets hung-up (e.g., dirt), the brake fluid pressure will stay applied to the brakes. As you drive, the rotors get hot because the brakes are still slightly applied. As the rotors get hot, they expand, which results in an increase in braking. So, I took it to a mechanic and had the master cylinder replaced - $300. The car brakes felt wonderful after that and I thought that was an end to the problem.

Well, it came back after a month; after dealing/ignoring the problem for the last 6 months, I took it back to the shop that replaced the master cylinder. September 2016 - They are replacing all the pads today, three out of four rotors, and possibly one caliper - $620. I was reluctant about authorizing the work, but decide maybe there is something I missing. My fear is that I just fix the results of the problem, not the root cause. I've done dozens of brakes jobs over the years and never had a problem like this. I bought the 2011 Buick Regal new. The only reason I haven't taken it to the dealer is that there are no service bulletins on this issue and I don't want to pay a premium to have them replace brakes. My wife and I will probably never buy another Buick or GM product. I am sure that there is some type of defect that shows up randomly. Although, this issue has been happening almost daily only on the way home from work; it never happens on the way to work, which means the temperature may be a factor (afternoons in SC are typically 20°F warmer). I don't know if the ABS sensors can cause this type of problem. Key words: 2011 Buick Regal Braking Issues; Random Braking Issues

IF anyone has had the same issue, I would like to hear if a solution was found.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 Buick Regal Braking Issues - Uncommanded

Hi,

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Buick Regal Turbo model. When it is hot outside and I leave work, the car will randomly start to apply the brakes by themselves. The car will immediately slow down (like I'am braking) if I take my foot off the accelerator. Most of the time I am in traffic moving at 45 to 55 miles per hour. I have to push the accelerator pedal further down to maintain speed; next the car's front end will start to shake and the shaking will gradually increase to the point that it is scary. As soon as I find a place to pull over, I do. I usually pump the brake pedal about 6 times and the problem is gone. About 15,000 miles ago (May 2015), I replaced both front rotors, brake pads on all four wheels and one caliper on the rear driver side and one on the passenger front side. Also, I replace the caliper alignment pins on both front calipers, clean everything and applied new grease, check all the rubber boots. The results after spending about $300 in parts (labor charge $0; I did the work), I was sure the problem was fixed. It should be noted, that I did not really see any problems (find the smoking gun) with the parts I replaced besides normal wear. Anyway, about 3 or 4 weeks after that, the problem came back and was random again - sometimes I would go 500 or 600 miles without the problem.

After searching the internet for a solution, I read enough to reasonable conclude it might be the master brake cylinder; there are spool pieces (valves) inside that slide back in-place after you let off the brakes to release the fluid pressure applied to the calipers. If the spool piece gets hung-up (e.g., dirt), the brake fluid pressure will stay applied to the brakes. As you drive, the rotors get hot because the brakes are still slightly applied. As the rotors get hot, they expand, which results in an increase in braking. So, I took it to a mechanic and had the master cylinder replaced - $300. The car brakes felt wonderful after that and I thought that was an end to the problem.

Well, it came back after a month; after dealing/ignoring the problem for the last 6 months, I took it back to the shop that replaced the master cylinder. September 2016 - They are replacing all the pads today, three out of four rotors, and possibly one caliper - $620. I was reluctant about authorizing the work, but decide maybe there is something I missing. My fear is that I just fix the results of the problem, not the root cause. I've done dozens of brakes jobs over the years and never had a problem like this. I bought the 2011 Buick Regal new. The only reason I haven't taken it to the dealer is that there are no service bulletins on this issue and I don't want to pay a premium to have them replace brakes. My wife and I will probably never buy another Buick or GM product. I am sure that there is some type of defect that shows up randomly. Although, this issue has been happening almost daily only on the way home from work; it never happens on the way to work, which means the temperature may be a factor (afternoons in SC are typically 20°F warmer). I don't know if the ABS sensors can cause this type of problem. Key words: 2011 Buick Regal Braking Issues; Random Braking Issues

IF anyone has had the same issue, I would like to hear if a solution was found.

John
Hi John.
I am having the exact same problems that you describe above. I was wondering if you've ever gotten a response from Buick in regards to the problem or if anybody actually repaired it finally? I'd be interested to hear what you have the say.
Sincerely,
Jessica

1 - 13 of 13 Posts